A group of service minded eminent citizens of Visakhapatnam, whose quotations are works immortains and whose words of wisdom have deep insight into the unfathomable human heart founded the Lions Club of Visakhapatnam under the stewardship of late Dr. V. S. Krishna, the founder and the former Vice-Chancellor of Andhra University, duly sponsored by the Lions Club of Hyderabad, was inaugurated on November 6th, 1958 and the Charter was presented on January 24th, 1959 by the dynamic approach and missionary zeal of Lion N. N. Pundle, the father of Lionism in India. Lion C. P. Rao was the founder Secretary and Lion Dr. V. V. Chetty was the founder Treasurer. Heroism is not limited to a particular field like war. It may be found any where, where a person performs his duty sincerely at the cost of his valuable time, talent and treasure. Since the inception of the Lions Club of Visakhapatnam 49 Presidents succeeded left their indelible mark of the community of Visakhapatnam duly executing very many service projects to serve the poor, the needy, and downtrodden people beyond the poverty line. They developed a sense of cohesion of togetherness to make the service projects easy and pleasant, fruitful and peaceful. This club produced Four District Governors, as many as Region Chairmen, Zone Chairmen and several District Officers, who brought distinction to the club at the Region, District and at International levels. As a pioneer club in the district and as the second club in the state of Andhra Pradesh, it has established a number of service projects.
These are a few of the major projects during last 49 years of the club's existence. It is impossible to make an inventory of the varied and countless services rendered by the club, with the good response of the community and dedication of the members with a commitment the club services were extended to natural disasters such as flood, famine etc. in helping the handicapped, the weaker section with educational and health services etc. The Lions Club of Visakhapatnam has a family of auxiliary consisting of the Lion Ladies Auxiliary Club. It also actively serves the society believing that service is an unending and inexorable process and that the club is committed to serve as long as there is need for it.